Hey there, horse owners! Did you know that some common house plants can be toxic to your equine pals? Yep, azaleas, rhododendrons, philodendrons, and poinsettias are just a few. And don’t even think about feeding your horse chocolate, avocado, onions, garlic, or tomatoes. If you’re unsure about your horse’s diet or health, it’s best to consult with your vet. Keep your horses happy and healthy!
House Plants and Other Foods You Should Not Be Feeding Your Horse
As horse owners, we all want to give our equine friends the best possible care. This includes providing them with a healthy diet that meets their nutritional needs. However, sometimes we may unknowingly give our horses foods that can be harmful to their health. In this article, we will discuss some common house plants and other foods that you should avoid feeding your horse.
Many house plants can be toxic to horses if ingested. Some of the most common toxic plants include:
1. Azaleas and Rhododendrons
These plants contain a toxin called grayanotoxin, which can cause gastrointestinal upset, weakness, and even heart failure in horses.
This plant contains calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause oral irritation, swelling, and difficulty breathing if ingested.
Like Dieffenbachia, Philodendron also contains calcium oxalate crystals that can cause oral irritation and swelling.
Contrary to popular belief, poinsettias are not highly toxic to horses. However, they can still cause mild gastrointestinal upset if ingested.
Other Foods to Avoid
In addition to house plants, there are also some common foods that you should avoid feeding your horse.
Chocolate contains theobromine, which can be toxic to horses in large amounts. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning in horses include restlessness, sweating, increased heart rate, and muscle tremors.
Avocado contains a toxin called persin, which can cause respiratory distress, colic, and even death in horses.
3. Onions and Garlic
Onions and garlic contain compounds that can damage horses’ red blood cells, leading to anemia.
Tomatoes contain a toxin called solanine, which can cause gastrointestinal upset, weakness, and even paralysis in horses.
As horse owners, it is our responsibility to provide our horses with a safe and healthy diet. This includes being aware of the foods and plants that can be harmful to their health. By avoiding feeding your horse the foods and plants mentioned in this article, you can help ensure that your equine friend stays healthy and happy. Remember to always consult with your veterinarian if you have any questions or concerns about your horse’s diet or health.
A video on this subject that might interest you:
TO READ THIS LATER, SAVE THIS IMAGE ON YOUR PINTEREST: